The National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) is the largest provider of funded research fellowship opportunities for nurses and midwives in England. There are several programmes, some overseen directly by NIHR, others delivered in partnership with Health Education England.
Find out more about our research training awards, offered through the HEE/NIHR Integrated Clinical Academic (ICA) Programme and NIHR Fellowships Programme.
The ICA programme has four schemes supporting individuals at different stages that supports health and care professionals excluding doctors and dentists. The internship programme is offered regionally:
- HEE Internship scheme
- HEE/NIHR Pre-doctoral Clinical and Practitioner Academic Fellowship (PCAF) Scheme
- HEE/NIHR Doctoral Clinical and Practitioner Academic Fellowship (DCAF) Scheme
- HEE/NIHR Advanced Clinical and Practitioner Academic Fellowship (ACAF) Scheme
Although there are schemes that are designed to offer opportunities for nurses and midwives to apply, you can also apply for schemes such as doctoral and advanced fellowship.
Useful steps when applying
- Download the guidance for the particular scheme you are interested in including the Chairs report.
- Register on the NIHR Academy research management system here
- Identify the help you require and seek out support in your organisation and/or clinical research network.